The Company implements an open, accessible and effective environmental policy, which serves as the basis for the development and achievement of specific goals and objectives in the field of environmental protection, rational management of natural resources and ensuring environmental safety.
When designing the Ust-Luga Oil, JSC’s facilities, a set of organizational, technical and environmental measures was developed, aimed at reducing adverse ecological impacts and minimizing their consequences for the environment.
- tanks for light oil products are equipped with pontoons, which reduce the release of pollutants into the air by more than 90 pct;
- along the tank perimeters, protective closed reinforced concrete fences – bund walls – are erected; the capacity of tank bund walls corresponds to 100 pct of the bund tank capacity;
- railway jetties and berthing facilities have a solid concrete coating, preventing oil products from soaking into the soil;
- the tanks are equipped with ventilatory and safety valves with a throughput capacity according to the maximum performance of filling and discharge operations, preventing the release of harmful substance vapors into the atmosphere;
- the selected method for recirculation heating of heavy oil products reduces the emissions of oil vapor into the atmosphere and minimizes the risks of water pollution, as compared to the method of heating with steam;
- to prevent pollution of the water area, water treatment facilities have been constructed and put into operation for acceptance and treatment of industrial and domestic waste water with a total capacity of 2,550 cu. m per day. The treatment facilities ensure the compliances with the standards for maximum permissible concentrations of harmful substances in fishery water bodies;
- for monitoring the conditions of the atmospheric air, gas detectors are installed in the territory of production facilities. The monitoring is effected by continuous measurement of gas concentration and the conversion of the measured data into a unified output signal as part of an automated system;
- to reduce any negative impact on the environment when handling waste, the Company entered into agreements with licensed organizations for waste management. Ust-Luga Oil, JSC performs selective collection of production and consumption wastes;
- to prevent forest fires and to protect the woodlands, the Company carries out various activities that include forest fire-fighting measures (arrangement of fire breaks, organization a fire-fighting equipment concentration site), provision of means for preventing and fighting forest fires;
- for oil spill prevention and response in the coastal area of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex, Ust-Luga Oil, JSC has developed and agreed upon with state supervisory authorities the Plan for Oil Product Spill Prevention and Response in the Coastal Area of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex of Ust-Luga Oil, JSC;
- for oil and oil product spill prevention and response in the water area of the of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex, Ust-Luga Oil, JSC has developed and agreed upon with state supervisory authorities the Plan for Oil and Oil Product Spill Prevention and Response in the Water Area of the Bulk Liquid Cargo Complex of Ust-Luga Oil, JSC in the Ust-Luga Sea Commercial Port;
- according to the developed Oil Spill Response Plans, the Company purchase all the necessary emergency and rescue equipment for oil and oil products collection, including special vessels, boom barriers of various configurations, neutralizing solutions and sorbents, special vehicles, equipment, tools, technical means for production of work on the localization and elimination of oil and oil product spill on the shore;
- Ust-Luga Oil, JSC has the unique specialized Oil Spill Response Station with environmental vessels in the Ust-Luga Sea Commercial Port.
The Company carries out a permanent industrial environmental control using laboratory measurements and tests, with the involvement of specialized accredited laboratories. As part of the industrial control, it carries out a permanent monitoring of the condition of the atmospheric air, water bodies and their protection zones, land (forest) areas and topsoil, as well as the state of biological resources – representatives of fauna and flora and their habitats.
The managements and specialists of the Company regularly undergo training (advanced training) in the field of environmental protection and ecological safety.